what screed/cement to use for 3 inch gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gap in a cement floor where we've chiselled out the concrete to get to heating pipes that were embedded in the concrete.

Now I have a gap in the floor about 4" wide and 3" deep and about 3 feet long.

I got some quick dry cement at Robert Dyas, mixed to the best of my ability and poured it in. Some was a bit too thick perhaps. Second pour maybe too thin. Not sure. It's dried now, but seems very crumbly.

The quick dry cement should be set in 30 minutes. It's been about 4 hours now and I think I've botched the job.

What should I do? Remove all the cement to the best of my ability and start over again? If so, what mix should I use?

Just for more information. After doing this, I plan to level the hall with self-levelling compound. I will wait till the mix has had the proper amount of time (2 months?) to dry before doing that. It will have a hardwood floor on it.

Sponsored Links
Use sharp sand and Portland cement - about 5 to 1. Only use sufficient water to mix it firm, not runny. Dampen the old concrete before pressing in the new.

I followed your instructions and the whole thing turned out beautifully!... except huffing the 25 kilo sand bag in my rucksack on the bus and all the way home ;)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back