What screw do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen wall which is not brick based but more of a plaster board type (sorry don't know the correct terminology), by this I mean if I attempt to add a shelf to this wall with a screw it won't hold a lot of weight and the shelf will fall.

I'm wanting to add cupboard to this wall and I'm not sure what kind of screw(s) I need. As you can tell the cupboard itself would be heavy and once there's items it would be heavier so I don't really want it to fall off.

What screw do I need to hold this heavy weight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fixit do some plasterboard fixings which have weight tolerances on them, as do other types. How high up are you going with the cupboard? Timber batten to wall?

There will be a foot gap from the ceiling if that helps? I can give your the entire measurement of the wall if that's any easier?

Sorry I'm not a DIY guy and just learning this stuff from forums and YouTube.....I have no idea what you mean by timber batten to wall?

No need for measurement, just thought if it were ceiling height, you could secure to ceiling as well as wall. A batten fixed to the wall, and unit fused to this, but probably best you just use heavy duty plasterboard fixings.

Sponsored Links
Once you drill through the plasterboard, how much of a gap is there before the drill bit (or a thin screwdriver poked in) hits anything?

Remember, don't drill directly in line above power sockets/light switches/radiator pipes coming out the wall/etc.

Thanks guys.

I haven't drilled through the plaster board to see how much gap there is.... Should I do that somewhere like the top corner of should it be where the cupboard would be placed?

Is there a particular link someone can provide me with what i need to buy? There seems to be a lot of products so not sure if there's a particular name I need to search on?

Thanks

should it be where the cupboard would be placed?

A test hole which will be covered by the cupboard in the end will be a good idea, i.e. the middle.

Is there a particular link someone can provide me with what i need to buy?

NO!! You must determine the wall type first! Just saying it's a plasterboard wall isn't enough. You have to find out by drilling. It could be...

• Timber framed plasterboard wall (likely if an internal wall, but can be external)
  • Plasterboard dot & dabbed block wall (more likely if an external wall, but can be internal)
  • Foam insulation backed plasterboard (which still could be timber stud OR dot & dabbed)
There are still more options than above!! Ask a neighbour if you're really stuck and the houses are all the same build.

A test hole which will be covered by the cupboard in the end will be a good idea, i.e. the middle.

NO!! You must determine the wall type first! Just saying it's a plasterboard wall isn't enough. You have to find out by drilling. It could be...

• Timber framed plasterboard wall (likely if an internal wall, but can be external)
  • Plasterboard dot & dabbed block wall (more likely if an external wall, but can be internal)
  • Foam insulation backed plasterboard (which still could be timber stud OR dot & dabbed)
There are still more options than above!! Ask a neighbour if you're really stuck and the houses are all the same build.

Ah right I see.... So I'll drill a hole and just need to determine the content behind the plaster board, if any or whatever might be retrieved when the drill bit has exited the hole?

Ah right I see.... So I'll drill a hole and just need to determine the content behind the plaster board, if any or whatever might be retrieved when the drill bit has exited the hole?

Yeah. :)

Make the hole big enough to waggle your finger in and have a feel around. Another type of wall is lath & plaster which is very difficult to secure anything to unless you have some experience of DIY'ing.
If it turns out to be a plasterboard wall with at least 2" gap behind then the best way would be to secure a batten to it using 6mm spring toggle bolts. The batten should be the length of the inside of your cupboard. To the batten you attach your cupboard hanging rail and then hook your cupboard to the rail.

Determine what type of wall you have and then come back with some pictures of your cupboard and what it uses as wall fixings. e.g. screws through the backboard or adjustable plastic blocks in the top corners etc

The wall is a plaster board. I drilled a hole and there was nothing inside when I inserted my finger.

There is a room next door so not sure if this narrows it down any further.

The cupboard is custom built so I don't know if that adds more complexity.

Do you know how you are supposed to hang it?
The backboard is usually thin hardboard and there are often 2 plastic block-like fixtures inside the top corners of the cupboard. These are the hanging brackets.
If you don't have these blocks is there a thick board behind the cupboard, usually near the top? If so then you simply drill through this board to create a 'pilot' hole.
If the wall is a cavity then you will need 'Toggle' screws such as these;

Easyfix Spring Toggles 6 x 80mm 20 Pack | Spring Toggle | Screwfix.com

I usually put 3 in when using these for fixing cupboards. The important thing is to position your cupboard and mark the wall where you want the fixings to go. You then take the butterfly wings off the screws, feed the screws through the hole in the back of your cupboard and replace the wings back on to the start of the screw. You will need assistance to mount the cupboard as you need someone to hold it in place while you push the screws through the holes you have drilled in the wall.
For 6mm screws you will need to drill a 16mm hole, yes 16mm, this is to allow the wings to pass through and then spring open to grip against the back of the cavity. When you tighten them tighten them just enough that you can feel them begin to grip. Check your cupboard is in exactly the right place before fully tightening them fully.
If you ever remove the cupboard, (or anything using these fixings), you will need to fit new ones as the wings are not retrievable from the cavity.

Have a look on YT to see how they should, (and should not), be fitted.

The wall is a plaster board. I drilled a hole and there was nothing inside when I inserted my finger.

There is a room next door so not sure if this narrows it down any further.

The cupboard is custom built so I don't know if that adds more complexity.

If the wall on your side is plasterboard

And the wall in the next room is plasterboard

And there is an air gap between them

And there are no bricks or blocks

then the plasterboard is pretty certain to be nailed to a wooden framework of uprights and horizontals.

The easiest solution is to screw the brackets into these timbers.

The skilled fingertip can sometimes detect the positions of the fixing nails in the timbers by stroking the wall

the skilled eye can sometimes detect them by shining a light across the wall and looking for the patern of shadows

But I can sell you a Special Tool for locating the wooden studs in a wall like yours. You push it through the hole you have made, first to the left side, then to the right. When it touches the timber, you mark the distance on the Special Tool, and measure that distance along the wall, and drill there.

The Special Tool is handmade by me, and costs £50 plus P&P. It is made of finest steel, with a light anti-corrosion coating

Or you can make your own, if you can obtain the Special Component required to make it. You have to straighten the Component, and bend it into a shallow curve. I can supply the Special Component for only £49, as it reduces the cost of skilled engineering labour in the production process.

The Special Component looks like this:

mh-45-6mmbar-chrome-1-web_434.jpg

Thanks..... There are thick boards in each corner. I will look at the screw you mentioned and just saw the video on YouTube. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back