What shingles for long life on 3/12 pitch roof in Olympia, WA.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I will be starting construction of a new detached garage/shop that has a 3/12 pitch roof. This is a nice residential waterfront community and I want something that looks nice and appropriate for the area. I hate the look of "flat roof" membrane type roofing and am not a big fan of metal roofs. My contractor and the roofer he uses are suggesting Certainteed Presidential shingles due to the “Low Slope”. My question is: Do these shingles perform better and have a longer life span than a typical “Lifetime” architectural shingle? I do not care about the aesthetic appearance of the “Presidential” and any nice “Lifetime” architectural shingle would be fine. That being said, are these shingles overkill for what my priorities are? I’m assuming they will come in quite a bit pricier then the architectural shingles? I’m quickly looking at retail prices of GAF Laminated Architectural Roof Shingles at $91.92/square and Owens Corning Laminated Architectural Roof Shingles at $77.85. We will be using Ice and Water Shield and the appropriate methods for the low slope roof. Is the double felt method a better way to go than the Ice and Water Shield? Issues with Ice and Water Shield acting as a vapor barrier? I’m looking for advice.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
vettespeed, Hi, this is a UK based DIY site. Why not google some of the Professional USA based roofing forums?

FWIW: to get attention and advice why dont you cut your question down to one simple sentence/line, you can always then begin to add on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back