what should i do to smooth the wall for repainting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved in to a new ground flat and the landlord said we can do what we want in reason. We had these horrible mirrored tiles on the best wall. I pulled them off to find big crack and some render has come of with the concert. How should I fill the cracks and smooth the whole wall for painting? I have removed all the old loose pain and put loads of chips all over with the back of a pin hammer. I'm going to wire brush it next.

All so i have filled loads of holes on other walls but the finish is a rough finish. how do I sand it back so its the same texture?

Any help would be amazing

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks roughcaster. how do i get the rough feel in the skim? its not the that rough just a bit if smooth. is it the roller when i paint? do i need to pva the wall for better bonding?
cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks roughcaster. how do i get the rough feel in the skim? its not the that rough just a bit if smooth. is it the roller when i paint? do i need to pva the wall for better bonding?
cheers

Can you upload us a photo. As i said, to prep and skim the wall would be the beat bet,, far quicker too. As regards to painting with a roller, you can get an "orange peel" texture when you use one, if the paint is too thick, or the roller itself is too rough/coarse for the job.
As regards to the PVA you mentioned, "never" use it if you plan to emulsion/paint. Pva is ok to use if you planning to skim a wall/ceiling etc, but you should "never" put it on a wall/ceiling before painting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back