What shower for a combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have a Vailant Eco Tec Plus combi boiler newly fitted and married to an old Triton Amber2 shower, I want to upgrade to a power shower but have found they are not compatible with combis.

What shower can you recommend that is powerful enough to get me clean and not as I am now chasing the drops around the bath.

Could I fit a pump to get some water pumping out at a better rate.

Thanks for any advice.

Freddye

Sponsored Links
no you can't fit a pump to mains water thats why you can't have the power shower.
just fit a standard mixer valve as your boiler is mains pressure.
just check when buying its compatable with a combi boiler etc
bar mixer valves are a common shower with combis

It doesn't HAVE to be thermostatic, but it's usually better if it is.
Make sure the cold side comes from the mains not a loft tank.

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt go past a Mira excell great showers and a reasonable price get them in either exposed or concealed valve models.

regards

steve

Another vote here for the Mira Excel. Just had one fitted, feels good quality and comes with a 5 year guarantee.

How about an Aqualisa Visage Digital -put one in last week and the client is delighted with it

I was looking at a Mira Combiforce 415 - spotted it looking through the B&Q brochure which i know is not necessarily the best guide - but it seemed to be much more powerful than any other ( at least that B&Q do) that is compatible with a combi.

Is this any good ? Why is it not as much as the Mira Excel for example ? Is it really much more powerful than the cheaper models ?

... and the choice between exposed or built-in , presumably the benefit of the exposed is that you can move the shower up and down whereas the built in is fixed - is it just a simple as that ?

Thanks a lot
Graham

I have the Mira combiforce 415 and cant fault it. One thing to note is that its pressure balancing and not thermostatic, but assuming you have a modulating combi this will amount to the same thing.

Thanks ub7rm , not quite sure what you mean by a modulating combi though ( sorry , can't tell you what I have , just getting it sorted at the moment - possibly a Worcester Greenstar or a Baxi duotec ? )
Are these modulating combi's ?

Graham

I'm no plumber so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I think the vast majority (if not all) combi boilers are modulating. This means that they will automatically adjust the burner to keep the hot water flowing at a constant temperature. So you should have your hot water at a constant temp and your cold water at a constant temp and both hot and cold at roughly the same pressure. The shower will detect any drop in pressure (someone opens another tap say) and will compensate by dropping the pressure on the other supply to match resulting in the same temp output but reduced flow. The flow is cut off if one or other of the supplys fail (protects you against scalding should the cold water stop).

You get all the safety benefits of a normal thermostatic shower but it won't compensate if the temperature of the hot falls, only if the pressure falls so its maybe not best suited for a megaflow system where as the tank is drawn down the temperature of the hot water may fall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back