What size cable do I need for this job please ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an electric hob (just the 2 ring jobby) 1 plate rapid 1.5kw and the other rapid 2.0kw - not sure as to the size of wire I need to connect this can anyoneone oblige - thanks in advance (would it be poss to connect to the ring main ?

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a sort of bed-sit mini-cooker... they are usually made at 3kw max so that they can be plugged into the ring, although yours sounds like 3500w max, which is higher than usual, unless you can only use one ring at a time (a lot of these bedsit cookers are designed so that you can't have evrything on at once)..

If you are going to provide a radial, I would go for a 20A one in 2.5mm

Bear in mind that you (or someone else) might decide to get a bigger cooker later, and it will be less hassle to provide the capacity first time round.

Is it in a bedsit; or a restroom in an office, or what? If it is in a kitchen then it ought to have a radial because it is a permanent appliance and you will doubtless have some sort of oven in there too, as well as a kettle and toaster. (but it is strangely small for a kitchen hob)

Thanx 4 that John - the mini hob I am taking out to the Canaries to fit into a studio apartment (changing from calor gas) - there is already a small 2 ring gas hob and I merely wish to switch from a gas one to an electric one. - there will be no chance of increasing this to a full 4 ring hob at any time in the future neither will there ever be a need to instal an oven (have microwave.) In the kitchen area there is already ample sockets and one underneath the hob which I have never used, which I hope (believe) is a seperate circuit - was hoping just to connect to the existing wiring already in place as getting a new feed from the consumer unit to the kitchen would be a logistical nightmare. Any further thoughts ??

I don't know what the electrical standards are like in the Canaries so I'm afraid I have no idea.

However I do know that the UK 13Amp socket is generally better at handling power than the round-pin sockets in most other countries, and the fused plug enables you to rate it appropraitely to the appliance.

If I were you I would try to trace the circuit from the outlet under the hob.

I expect they have local regulations and methods of wiring for cooking appliances that I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John - what I thought of doing is adapting the spanish socket for a square english socket and taking a British fused 13amp plug with me and just plug in and away you go (and some spae 13amp fuses of course)- does that sound like it would work ? - would hate to dismantle the gas hob and then be left with no form of cooking. As for the spanish rules and regs, don't think they much know or care !!

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back