connecting cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am connecting cable in a bedroom where 2 sockets go to the ring so there are four 2.5mm cables needing connected. Do i use a block of cable connectors as i have tried a 20 amp junction box and that has no where near able to handle the size of the cable. Block connectors are used in the attic are they safe to use on a ring main? have been told these can over heat!

Sponsored Links
que? why four cables? describe the circuit better.

a 20A junction box is a definate no-no. junction boxes should be in accesible locations, and you'd need something rated at 32A for a ring main anyway, not 20A.

Sounds to me like you have two spurs off a ring main at the socket interface and that is definitely not allowed.
Rule of thumb, if the cables won't go into the terminals then there is something very wrong.

Consider adding another outlet next to this one and connect the two ends of the ring to each. Then connect them together with a new peice of cable.
You will then have two connection points to which you can connect the spurs, one to each. That will satisfy the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back