two new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install 2 new double sockets in my bedroom , I have determined that the wiring is on a ring, instead of running a spur from the existing double can I use 30 amp block connectors from each of the two cables,run cables to the new doubles and loop back to to the other 30 amp block connector whereby maintaining the ring and blanking off the original socket. And is it acceptable to run cables across top of skirting board and up the wall to the two new doubles. If this sounds ok is it also ok not to use the 30 amp connectors and just connect all four cables to the terminals in the existing double

Sponsored Links
Maintaining the ring is the correct way in this instance as you have more than one additional socket. As long as the connections remain accessible (ie blank plate) then it should be ok. As for clipping along the skirting you might need to consider mechanical damage that may occur.

You will also need to consider RCD/RCBO protection, you may already have it on you circuit at the Consumer Unit but if not you will have to consider having a RCBO fitted on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Maintaining the ring is the correct way in this instance as you have more than one additional socket. As long as the connections remain accessible (ie blank plate) then it should be ok. As for clipping along the skirting you might need to consider mechanical damage that may occur.
I did intend to bury cables behind plaster board,and can I or not just connect what will now be 4 cables to their repective points in existing double or do I need to go with the 30 amp connectors and blanking plate

can I or not just connect what will now be 4 cables to their repective points in existing double or do I need to go with the 30 amp connectors and blanking plate

Both and neither.

At the existing socket, remove one of the cables, and connect to a new piece of cable using connector block (new cable goes to the 1st new socket).
Cable from 1st new socket to 2nd new socket
Cable from 2nd new socket to the terminals of the existing socket with the existing cable.

You end up with 2 cables in each socket, and 2 cables joined in the box behind the original socket.

Ring is extended, terminals are all accessible and you get to keep the existing socket as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back