15 amp connector blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting conflicting reports on this.

Is it acceptable to join two ring circuit cables (2.5 mm2) in 15/16 amp connector blocks (in an enclosure) or does it have to be 30 amp connector blocks?

Sponsored Links
I am also getting conflicting reports on the rating (amps) of blue in-line crimps. Anyone care to confirm?

Must be minimum 20 Amps, see 433.1.5
That would be 433.1.103 in Amendment 1-speak :)

Whatever one calls the reg, I'm not sure that I agree with you. Whilst 433.1.5/433.1.103 does allow a 30/32A ring final circuit to use cable with a current carrying capacity of only 20A, it is clearly possible that, under some circumstances, some parts of the cable could carry more than 20A. That being the case, I would have thought that one probably ought to use 30A rated connection blocks/junction boxes. Indeed, 30A JBs appear to exist specifically for this purpose.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
MK do a suitable box - it is white and rectangular, with 30amp rated terminals inside - ideal for the task, with a tidy appearance too.
Part number is MK1130. around four pounds from B&Q's.

John, if you want another crusade... Why doesn't anyone make 32A terminal blocks?

MK do a suitable box - it is white and rectangular, with 30amp rated terminals inside - ideal for the task, with a tidy appearance too. Part number is MK1130. around four pounds from B&Q's.
Yes, I very much like them, and they are great for a 'tee' connection if one has to make them. However, MK, together with every other accessory manufacturer under the sun, make (cheaper) 'traditional' round 3-terminal JBs rated at 30A - as I said to holmslaw, presumably specifically for 30/32A ring/radial final circuits.

Kind Regards, John.

John, if you want another crusade... Why doesn't anyone make 32A terminal blocks?
No crusade needed, really .... you can have this OR you can have this - or many other options, if you want!

Returning to your question, I suppose the likely answer as to why 32A ones are not common is that most of the products are perpetuations of products which existed in the pre-MCB days, when most final circuits were protected by 30A fuses, and no-one has got around to updating them to the late 20th, let alone 21st, century! ... unless, of course the Standards (e.g.BS EN 60670) don't allow them to sell JBs rated at 32A?

In fact, I've always been doubtful (and fairly contemptuous) about 'current rating' of JBs and connector strips. The terminals themselves shouldn't carry any significant current, so it is really the cable capacity (and 'cable clamping capacity') of the terminals which really matters. Some '20A' JBs have, IMO, greater cable- and 'cable clampng'-capacity than do some so-called '30A' ones - so I tend to use my discretion when choosing which to use for what (despite Maufacturer's ratings/Instructions!!)!

Kind Regards, John.

That being the case, I would have thought that one probably ought to use 30A rated connection blocks/junction boxes. Indeed, 30A JBs appear to exist specifically for this purpose.
Then your logic must also tell you that 20A rated cable is unsuitable for 32A rfc's, and all parts of the circuit shoud be rated at 32A, which negates the benefits of an rfc.
That is, indeed, what logic says. However, as you know (and cited), the regs have created a 'special dispensation' for the permissible cable in a ring final circuit (and had to create an additional Table in Appendix 4 to make 2.5mm² 30/32A rings compliant!) - but no such dispensation in relation to any other components of the circuit. That makes sense to me - the diversity/gambling concepts inherent in the allowed cable sizing of a ring final circuit being allowed does not really apply in quite the same way to, say, joints in the cable.

Whatever, your experience must surely tell you that there are, probably literally, millions of 30A (and few 20A) JBs out there in ring final circuits, which seems to suggest that most others agree with me. As I've said, if that were not the case, why would there be such a vast number of 30A JBs being manufactured and sold - if everyone was using 20A ones for ring final circuits, there would be pretty little use for them.

Kind Regards, John.

You've lost me with your intepretation of the 20A rule for rfc's.
I wasn't interpreting - merely quoting. All the regs say about 'ratings' is that the cable must have a CCC of at least 20A - doesn't say anything about the ratings of anything else.

Manufacturers also make 5A jb's and I think you'll find most sparks never use them because they're too small and fiddly, they'll use 16A jb's instead. Like wise if you're joinng 3 x 2.5's together a 30A jb is the choice due to physical size and ease of use, not the current rating.
I have already said that I personally take 'current ratings' of JBs with a large pinch of salt and, similar to what you say, am far more concerned about 'cable carrying capacity' (whether that be indicated on the JB or judged by myself). However, I still think you must find (as I have, in my much more limited experience) that 30A JBs are generally used for ring final circuits. There is, of course, also the wretched 'MI' issue - but I'm prepared to take that with a large pinch of salt as well!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back