Removed Socket - Connections

Thanks guys, I will try and trace the cable back up above the ceiling, if I find a decent void space above I will move the two Junction boxes into it and run new lengths of cable to my first new socket, failing that I will keep tracing it back to the next socket or the CU.

Thanks for all your help! (although I still think there should be a purpose designed piece of kit for safely joining a hidden or buried cable!!!)

Phil
+++++++++++++++

P.s, yes there was already a box in the wall, ideally I did not want a blanking plate but I would have done that if I had too, problem is a 20amp JB will fit in a double metal box but a 30 will not - and I had 2 of them to go in! This was b4 crimping was mentioned, but that again brings me back to there being a lack of kit for this situation, a replacement metal box with connectors in it or a blanking unit with terminal connections on the back of it would have made the job so much easier!!

Looking back it may have been best to leave a double socket there - halfway up my wall!

Cheers again!

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
There is or at least was an MK three terminal in line three terminal brown connection strip which looked like 30A and which could fit inside a 25 mm box.

I have not seen one for a while but would have thought they are still available.

Tony

:) i blame my keyboard, i type the correct letters, but they come out in the wrong order, or not at all

Sponsored Links
What is wrong in using 30amp Choc-blocks in joining a 30amp Ring Main, inside an Earthed Steel Box, with a white plastic Blanking Plate Cover on top?

nothing, but crimps are better.

but poster wants to extend cable, less or same number of boxes, not more

I have just been looking at the MK web site and the connector I was describing seems to have been ceased.

The current equivalent is apparently the 1130.

This is a pretty useless item for most practical purposes as its a rectangular surface mount item and not size compatible with metal boxes. It seems to have little application because it does nothing more than the round 30A connection box.

The one I refered to was a stand alone connector which could go inside a metal or plastic surface box and gave a good quality connection using the same wide screws and in the round box.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back