Back to basics with connections - help with clarifying this

It's more a case of there being 'special' conditions for allowing our ring final circuits with conductors which are smaller than required for the size of protective device.

A radial circuit with your requirements would be quite acceptable although, in actual fact, exactly the same.

Sponsored Links
Just to throw some more confusion into the mix.

If you regard a socket off the ring as a spur, and you can have one spur off the ring at any one given point, then it stands to reason that if you plug a 4 gang extension lead into the socket, (which you regard as a spur), connected to the ring you will then have 5 spurs at the one point. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I sorted it out more or less with the help of your various replies.

I was looking at it all along on paper from a schematic point of view. On paper, a junction is just a dot and you can have as many wires coming out as you want. In practice things are a little harder.

Also, I guess the definition of a spur includes the word cable, that way a connection at a socket cannot be describe as a spur, even by myself. Then every time you make a spur connection, ie with a cable, you need to connect the cable to something, that means more screws that can become loose. More spurs also mean more cables which are not free. So while on paper I can draw a line from a dot and call it a spur, in practice this creates a lot of new conditions.

There is also the case of spurs being a special condition for a ring circuit, thus the need to keep it at a minimum and simply allow a single spur off anything.
As rjm2k says,
why bother making more and more exceptions to rules when it's considered bad practice anyway?

I was glad to read that there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the set-up I was describing initially as this is apparently what is used in radial circuits.

I was glad to read that there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the set-up I was describing initially as this is apparently what is used in radial circuits.
Except of course that a radial is always protected by a lower rated MCB than the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back