ring/radials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to add some spurs from some sockets in a kitchen. at present all the sockets are connected as spurs out of one junction box with a cable running from the consumer unit and another cable continuing round the ring or radial - i'm not sure if it's a complete ring. there isn't a separate ring for the kitchen.

can i run spurs from these sockets or should i convert these sockets into a kind of mini ring circuit that i can run spurs from?

Sponsored Links
This doesn't sound good - from your description you have several sockets on an unfused spur, which is a no-no, particularly in a kitchen, where loads are likely to be high.

As for whether it's spurred off a ring or a radial, if you only have 1 cable attached to the MCB in the CU, it's a radial. If there are two cables, it might be a ring, but given the attitude of whoever installed what you've got, I wouldn't rule out two radials!

You really should have the kitchen on its own circuit - either a ring using 2.5mm cable, or a radial using 4mm.

Don't know what the rules are for spurring off a radial circuit, but from a ring you can't have more spurs than sockets on the ring - although what the electrical reasoning behind this is, I'm not sure. What are you going to be powering with the spurs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back