Ring circuit with only spurs in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I currently have a kitchen with a separate radial circuit just connecting a single socket!

Can I connect number of spurs directly to the circuit using junction boxes?

I want to run a single conductor from ring to fcu, then onto the various appliances.

I am looking at fitting a new kitchen & want to connect switched fcu's for a number of built-in appliances:
washing mc, fridge freezer, microwave, dishwasher

Also want to add another double socket using the same method to run a kettle.

In other words is it OK from a regs/safety point of view to have a ring with just spurs connected using single conductors? Or should I be dividing the appliances/sockets into two separate radial circuits?

Cheers in advance, Craig

Sponsored Links
Ring, Radial, which do you have?

A radial is a sigle cable that supplies sockets in series and must be fused accordingly.

A ring is a circular circuit starting and ending at the CU.

sorry, mean't to say Ring in all cases, don't know why I mentioned Radial at all!

Scooby! said:
Hi guys,

I currently have a kitchen with a separate radial circuit just connecting a single socket!
So I take it from your subsequent clarification that you have a ring with just one socket?

Can I connect number of spurs directly to the circuit using junction boxes?
In which case no, not according to the regulations - you may not have more spurs than sockets.

I want to run a single conductor from ring to fcu, then onto the various appliances.
But in any event you wouldn't be able to run several appliances through one FCU anyway.

I am looking at fitting a new kitchen & want to connect switched fcu's for a number of built-in appliances:
washing mc, fridge freezer, microwave, dishwasher
Those should not be on the same circuit - ideally the F/F should not be on an RCD one.

In other words is it OK from a regs/safety point of view to have a ring with just spurs connected using single conductors? Or should I be dividing the appliances/sockets into two separate radial circuits?
You're fitting a new kitchen! FFS get the electrics right at the start. You have carte blanche - do it properly!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Have 1 ring with just 1 double socket, checked & double checked - prob gonna replace ring with 2 rings due to excess load.

regs say 'unfused' spurs cant exceed number of sockets - can I run more 'fused' conenction unit spurs than i have sockets?

To clarify I meant to say multiple fcu's, each with only one appliance, don't worry I'm not that far gone!

Scooby! said:
Hi there,

Have 1 ring with just 1 double socket, checked & double checked - prob gonna replace ring with 2 rings due to excess load.!

Are you running a welder or something on this lonely socket.

Scooby! said:
regs say 'unfused' spurs cant exceed number of sockets - can I run more 'fused' conenction unit spurs than i have sockets?!

You can have as many fused connection units as you like since the maximum that can be pulled is 13A

lol!
single socket has nothing on it at mo! excess load will come when I add all the appliances, etc!

Why does f/f not need be on rcd?

cheers

Scooby! said:
Why does f/f not need be on rcd?
You go away for a few days and the RCD trips, f/f defrosts.
The only sockets which have to be RCD are the ones which can be reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors, (or all socket outlets on a TT system.) Saying this, imo it is still advisable to have RCD protection on all general use socket outlets for the added protection against fatal electric shock that they give.

Interested in that. Is it normal/common to have a designated freezer socket in the kitchen that isn't on the (RCD protected) ring, but a separate radial ? I ask as I've not come across it and I'm in a position to put that in my place at the moment if I decide it's worth it. (Might be a pain if later one decided one wanted the freezer at the other end of the kitchen :).)

----------

single socket has nothing on it at mo! excess load will come when I add all the appliances, etc!
Even so, a ring should be able to provide up to 30/32 amp before tripping out, and a single socket 13 amp before the FSU or plug fuse goes. Difficult to imagine how you'd be loading it to need a second ring. Not thinking of putting an electric oven on it, were you ? (Might be useful to post your calculations/figures.)

Gary0 said:
Interested in that. Is it normal/common to have a designated freezer socket in the kitchen that isn't on the (RCD protected) ring, but a separate radial ?
That depends on whether you come here for advice, or have it done by some installation-by-numbers professional sparky ;) :) :D :LOL:

Adding a separate Final Circuit for Fridge/Freezer is becoming increasingly popular.

Its a good idea if your redesigning you kitchen to add one. Just remember that it should not be possible to plug in any portable appliance that could be used outside the EQ zone.

Yhis can be achieved by installing round pin sockets or square pin sockets with the earth pin reversed (e-w instaed of n-s).

Or use a different colour socket, and document the installation in accordance with requirement P2.

Problem with different coloured sockets is customers think they are a fashion statement!!!

IMO, if you document the fact that the red socket in the kitchen or utility room is not to be used to supply portable equipment outdoors, it can no longer reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors....

Tell me again which planet you live on ban. Documetation goes over the heads of most consumers, their eyes glaze over after the first paragraph

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back