FCU from an existing socket which already feeds a spur?

Jek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single socket outlet in the kitchen which seems to be on the end of a radial circuit as only one set of wires drop in from above. From this socket a spur seems to have been connected horizontally in the adjacent room as a socket the other side of the wall has only one feed from that direction.
My problem - I want to install a fridge and a tumble dryer in the kitchen and was hoping to convert the single socket to a double (which I could plug my fridge and TD into) and from that run a Switched Fused Connection Unit above the worktop so I could turn appliances on and off.
So, if this socket is already feeding a spur, can I run a FCU off of it?
Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
Good answer.

How about I break into the feed before the socket (which feeds the spur) with a junction box. From the junction box to a FCU, from the FCU to a spur socket. If I do this twice then would this work?

are you sure it's a radial and not a 2 socket spur from a ring (which regs do not allow but is not that uncommon in older installs)

radials are unusual in domestic installs check what fuse/breaker it is on in your cu

if that fuse/breaker is a 20A then it's a radial and you can branch it in pretty much any way you like as the cable is fully up to the rating of the breaker

if it is a 30A/32A with only one wire then you have a high power radial which must be wired in at least 4mm if this is the case again you can branch it pretty much any way you like but you must extend with 4mm not 2.5mm if you have a 30A/32A with just one wire and it's only 2.5mm get an expoert in asap your install needs major work

if it is a 30A/32A with 2 wires it's probablly a ring but you should check it by disconnecting the wires and testing for continuity if there is no continuity then either someone has unintentially split the ring or it was always a radial if there is no continuity see above about cable sizes and act as above

if it is a ring then it looks like someone has added an unsafe extention to the ring. first you need to find where that drop cable spurs off the ring and make sure there is nothing else between the spur point and the sockets you know about

once you know where the spur starts you could put a fcu before the first socket on the spur but with a fridge and a tumble drier on it you would probablly be going over 13A

i think your best bet would be to remove the existing drop and run everything at was on it from a new 4mm 30A/32A radial direct from the CU

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Plugwash.

I'll investigate further. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back