Ring circuit with only spurs in a kitchen

Surely the fact that the freezer is plugged in would - in most cases - be enough to suggest the socket is not reasonably likely to power outdoor portable equipment? Especially if there is only one place for the freezer to go.

Would any reasonable person be expected to unplug the freezer and defrost all the food to power something outside instead of using one of the other free sockets?

Documentation simply in the form of a sticker on the socket with 'Fridge/Freezer only' would be better and surely enough.

Sponsored Links
Murphy's laws apply.

I was pulled up over a non-RCD outlet on the cooker circuit when the householder would have needed to pass 2 internal and one external RCD protected sockets to plug in so you cant assume anything. What happens to a blind person, they can't tell what colour the socket is and a 2 foot high notice will not be read.

Much safer to make it impossible to plug another appliance into the outlet.

Ah their eyes may glaze over, but your back is covered :)

Hmmm...now to avoid too much additional work I just need to find a 2 gang georgian round pin socket... fat chance. Ah well.... maybe it doesn't need to 'match' behind the freezer anyway.

Sorry Scooby!, best pull this thread back on course again ;)

Qedelec said:
Tell me again which planet you live on ban. Documetation goes over the heads of most consumers, their eyes glaze over after the first paragraph
IRDGAS. I think it is reasonable to expect someone to read information that could save their lives.

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

James_H said:
Surely the fact that the freezer is plugged in would - in most cases - be enough to suggest the socket is not reasonably likely to power outdoor portable equipment? Especially if there is only one place for the freezer to go.

Would any reasonable person be expected to unplug the freezer and defrost all the food to power something outside instead of using one of the other free sockets?

Documentation simply in the form of a sticker on the socket with 'Fridge/Freezer only' would be better and surely enough.
What happens when you move out?

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Qedelec said:
Murphy's laws apply.

I was pulled up over a non-RCD outlet on the cooker circuit when the householder would have needed to pass 2 internal and one external RCD protected sockets to plug in so you cant assume anything.
Pulled up by whom? Clearly someone who didn't know what the word "reasonable" meant...

What happens to a blind person, they can't tell what colour the socket is and a 2 foot high notice will not be read.
You have a point there.

Sponsored Links
Simpler still, use a 13amp Switched Fuse-Connection with Neon Lamp to supply the Fridge/Freezer, problem solved.

I realise that what I'm about to write will probably lower b-a-s's credibility, but IMHO he lives on planet Sensible, in the small town of Pragmatic, and his house is always open to the naive and inexperienced. This forum needs more of his kind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back