Can I run two spurs off the same junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...I am planning to install two sockets in my new conservatory when built. I live in a bungalow and there is a ring circuit in the loft. Can I run two seperate cables from a junction box connected to the ring circuit which will make three connections in all in the junction box (i.e. one ring circuit cable and two spur cables?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not extend the ring?

Junction boxes must be accessible for inspection and testing or must be of a maintenance free design.

Replacing cables to/from sockets is better than using JBs.

Does that mean I have to cut the ring cable and use two junction boxes to extend the ring cable to both sockets in the conservatory and back to the ring cable in the roof space making one bigger ring circuit?

Sponsored Links
Hi...I am planning to install two sockets in my new conservatory when built. I live in a bungalow and there is a ring circuit in the loft. Can I run two seperate cables from a junction box connected to the ring circuit which will make three connections in all in the junction box (i.e. one ring circuit cable and two spur cables?
If I understand you correctly, that would not be acceptable for 'unfused spurs', since the two spurs would be fed via a single length of cable (from ring to JB). If you wanted to do it with unfused spurs, you would have to break into the ring and insert a JB, which would then have four cables (2 ring and two 2 spurs). Having two spurs originating from the same point is not recommended, but nor is it 'forbidden'.

As BAS has said, to extend the ring would be a much better option, and would probably not involve much more work (and would avoid the need for JBs).

Kind Regards, John.

thanks for info. but wouldn't I need junction boxes to extend the ring cable?

thanks for info. but wouldn't I need junction boxes to extend the ring cable?
Not if you took the feeds to your two new sockets (which themselves would be connected together) from two 'adjacent' sockets on the ring (after you had removed the cable currently joining those two sockets.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back