what size cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Soon to be getting new cooker and cooker is 10.7kw, would 6mm T&E cable be ok to connect the cooker or should i use 10mm T&E cable. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Right, kitchen has just been re done including electrics, they've run in conduate, 6mm from new rcd about 12mtr to switch in kitchen, rcd has 80A 30mA on it. Also 2mtr of 6mm from switch to connection behind cooker. hope that explains my electrics. thanks

Sponsored Links
10.7kw = 46.5A and for the flexible cable at 6mm this is within the 55A rating but for the cable in the wall likely the rating for 6mm will be about 34A.

If you use a 32A MCB then should the cooker draw over the 32A for an extended time the MCB will trip. So not a safety problem. Likely it will not draw over the 32A in normal use.

However my cooker like many British cookers (Belling) states on the cooker what supply is required. For my cooker it states 32A. I would go by manufactures recommendations rather than trying to re-invent the wheel and work it out from scratch.

No isolation facility?

100% design current = 46.52A

After diversity has been applied (Table 1B of the On-site guide)
(Take first 10A, 30% of remainder (+5A is cooker switch has a socket)

46.52 - 10 = 36.52 x 30% = 25.57A
Therefore 25.57 + 10 = 35.57A (40.57A if with a socket)

Stretching the A*** out of a 32A device if you ask me. The 6mm ² will turn into a nice little wall heater for you too, if you get what I mean???!

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

Answer to a couple of your questions, i have 32a MCD for cooker in CU and also was asked about isolation facility, well i do have switch just above work surfice that cuts power to the cooker.

Hey, what do I know I am only a 2391 assessor! :D :D :D

46.52 - 10 = 36.52A
less 30% of remainder (30% of 36.52) = 10.96A
Therefore 10.96 + 10 = 20.96A (25.96A if with a socket)

Soooooo a 32A MCB and the 6mm ² will be sufficient

LMAO.. what an absolute turkey :D
I was eating chips and pasta, drinking tea and being hurried back to a Permit to Work course. (That's my excuse anyway).
**Now where did I put my coat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back