cooker cable 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have installed 10 mm t+e cable from the cu to the main cooker switch. then from that socket i have run 2.5mm cable to a socket which goes behind the cooker is this ok? or should both lengths of cable be 10mm.

the cooker wiring instructions says it has to be fixed wired to the wall . so i assumed would it be ok to run 2.5 mm flex from the cooker to a connector block which would then be connected to the 2.5mm cable in the wall ?- (2.5flex - 2.5t+e - 10mmt+e) that the order .

hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
The size of cable required depends on the power rating of the cooker. Can you tell us what the power rating of the cooker is please, this will be found either on a sticker or panel to the rear of the cooker or sometimes a plate on the front at the bottom.

Once we know the rating we will be able to advise you.

Should also mention that using 2.5mm t&e on a 10mm t&e circuit is ringing alarm bells here, can you also tell me what rating MCB/Fuse you have protected the circuit with at the consumer unit and what type of cooker switch you have used?

Dan

this is extremely not ok :eek:

what size breaker are you using?
what size is the oven.if you have say a 40amp mcb backing up that 10mm,then there is an oppurtunity to massively overload the 2.5.if the oven needs a socket rather than a cooker outlet,run a 10mm down to it.you can then derate the mcb to 16amp.

first and foremost(although i said it last)what size is the oven?

Sponsored Links
If he's run 2.5mm to a socket then the fuse in the plug top will provide overcurrent protection with whatever MCB he has fitted in the consumer unit providing short circuit protection.

Maybe we need more clarification of what he has actually done.

he hasnt run it to a socket,hes run it to a connector block,which is possibly an outlet plate.

he hasnt run it to a socket,hes run it to a connector block,which is possibly an outlet plate.

i have installed 10 mm t+e cable from the cu to the main cooker switch. then from that socket i have run 2.5mm cable to a socket which goes behind the cooker is this ok? or should both lengths of cable be 10mm.

He mentions a socket here then connector block in the next paragraph.

Best to wait for clarification.

45amp mcb.

the 10mm cable runs from cu to the cooker control unit (the 1 with red switch and a plug) .

dont know the rating of the cooker but its a range double oven . can find out.

what it was the guy from labc said why dont you put a plug behind the cooker so you can plug it in there instead of plugging it in of the worktop .

if that makes sense.

he did say 10mm was ok.

but was just asking about the connection between the cooker and the power . ask said does need to befixed wired .

whats the best way of doing this?

cheers

A double range sounds like it may require more than 13A, assuming it's all electric?
If so then you should wire from the CCU with 10mm to a low level connection point. From this connection wire directly to the cooker.
Out of interest, why 10mm? 6mm may well have been adequate depending on installation method and rating of oven.

ok
this is the info on the back of the cooker

220-240v 50hz
5290w
14.5kw

so should i change the 2.5 mm to both 10mm cable?
how would i go about connecting the cooker to the power supply

cheers

Your ratings conflict each other, you say its 5290 W , which is nearly 6KW , but below it it says 14.5 KW????? is one of these the gas rating? if it is all electric then yes 10mm will be needed all the way from the switch to the oven.

Take the 10mm to an adjacent cupboard and connect the ovens 10mm to your 10mm load from your cooker switch using a cooker outlet plate anda deep surface box.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back