what size swa cable/fuse to garden summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a summerhouse in my garden which i am moving further down the garden so looking to extend the swa cable,at the moment it is a run of aprox 15m but want to extend it a further 20m. from what i can see it looks as though it is a 4mm swa cable run from 16 amp fuse in the house then to a consumer unit in the summerhouse,is this 16 amp high enough? looking at other posts they seem to sugest higher,it was an electrician that installed this a number of years ago. is it possible to to extend the swa cable via a exterior junction box attatch the new length of cable then to the consumer unit in the shed. there will be 4 lights,tv, freezer, fridge,wii, electric heater, computer, jukebox a number of disco lights,obviously not all running at the same time. thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
So are you looking to increase the electrical load in the summerhouse or carry on using as before with, I presume, no problems ?
It is possible to extend an SWA cable but the joint needs making off to a high standard by a competant person after the relevant circuit factors are checked.

No there will be no extra load just wanted to know if the 4mm cable was ok and the 16 amp fuse with me extending it.i plan to do the work and then to get it checked by a sparky.it was with other posts saying to use 30 amps.i was worried it wasnt enough or the cable wasnt big enough

No there will be no extra load just wanted to know if the 4mm cable was ok and the 16 amp fuse with me extending it.
Do you know what the current EFLI measurements are for the final circuits in the summerhouse, and have you calculated if the additional R1+R2 will keep it OK?

i plan to do the work and then to get it checked by a sparky
It doesn't work like that:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Sponsored Links
Is this the shed-bar extension shown in the pictures?

If you move that back 15 metres you will be in the valley below ;)

from what i can see it looks as though it is a 4mm swa cable

How do mean "looks as though"

Usually the size of the cable conductors, and the number of cores, is stanped on the outside of SWA cable. It may say something like 3 x 4mm.

Or did you use some other means of looking, like using a digital micrometer and calculating the CSA?

Yes the one in the pics.the garden is longer than it looks on the pics. I cant see enough of the cable at the moment to deffo know what size it is i was just going by some off cuts that were left over.i guess this isnt going to be as straight forwards as i thought looks like i will have to get a sparky in (more expense) anyway thanks guys for all the advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back