What sized combi... ... ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbing a flat with the contractor doing a full plumbing service (including installing a combi).

He has suggested that 24kw should be sufficient for...

2 bedroom/1 bathroom flat:
* 6 rads
* 1 bath (with shower above)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The answer to your question IMO is cannot ANSWER without knowing the dimensions of your flat, the radiator sizes already installed, the insulation fitted, the flooring type, the water flow into the property and your personal requirements from the combi..........!

As stated here on many occassions many plumbers go larger when not required, But, going smaller creates certain problems.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Thanks for your reply.

To be more specific I am concerned that a 24kw combi won't be sufficient to provide enough hot water to have a decent shower. As there is only one bathroom it doesn't really compete with much else.

Thks.

I agree and would recommend a 28 kW as a minimum as a 24 kW struggles with water heating during the winter.

That assumes that the mains water supply flow is adequate.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm going to throw this wild card in, and nothing to do with Kw of your new boiler, although I personally find this a very comforting pre-solution.

I have an electric mains fed shower aswell as a combi. On the odd occasion that my combi has needed attention, none of us smelt and we weren't quite so upset by using electric heating for a short period whilst the combi was fixed.

My point is that if you rely on a combi 100% don't get too upset when it breaks down and you have neither Hot Water or Central Heating.

The reason I mention this now is you mentioned that you are refurbishing and therefore now is the time to be thinking these future problems through.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back