What sort of door would be best for a 3.7m garage opening ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a double garage with an old up 'n over door which has seen better days. Anyway, we are getting the gar\age roof replaced, so the door will be sent to the tip.

My wife wants a roller door, but wouldn't a door about 3.5m width be quite awkward / heavy to open ?

Would two wooden side hung garage doors work, or would they be too heavy?

With a roller door don't you lose some headroom ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Electric roller door. I think they can be fitted in a box outside if you have enough depth of roof. Some people think they don’t look that nice though.

Electric roller door. I think they can be fitted in a box outside if you have enough depth of roof. Some people think they don’t look that nice though.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention there is no power in the garage. The garage is one of a block of 10, not at my house and there is no power to any of them

What about a continuous chain operated one or even plastic/lightweight roller shutters?

Sponsored Links
OP here

Been looking online and came across 'sectional doors'

At least one company reckons they are actually better than the roller type doors ... will have to investigate further.

Garage installer actually calling to see me on Tuesday, so we'll have to see what options he suggests

Thats probably the best thing to do.
Single skin Manuel doors are spring loaded so should be easy to operate. Roller doors take up no space which is there biggest asset.
I would have thought a sectional door would be more expensive and would take up your ceiling space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back