What's the entrance width of a double garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to get a double garage repaired, which will include the rebuilding of one side of the entrance.

Currently there is an old up and over door with a total brickwork opening size of 3700mm. There's a 100mm wide frame on both sides, making the actual opening width 3500mm

I am now going to have a roller door fitted but was wondering whether this width would be too much for that type of door.

To get two cars into the garage, is 3500 really needed ?

of course if this width is easily managed by the door, it would be maybe better and cheaper to reduce the left hand brick wall width, from it's current 1150mm to slightly less, then making the door a little bit wider.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Standard widths from memory for up and overs are 6'6" and 7', been a long time though since I fitted garage doors

Garages in N.America are up & over large doubles, so I would think any size within reason is possible, ie made to measure. They are only interlocked slats.

OK, thanks !

I've just got a price for a 7foot high roller door for a 3.7m overall width at £1100 which seems pretty good. I have used this company before as have done quite a few folk that I know.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed the double bit in which case our doubles are 14ft, anything less would be classed as a 3/4 which I think are quite rare, heights are always 7ft regardless of width

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back