Door Frame Width Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of installing some interior doors and corresponding frames in my house. The problem I am having is the width of the walls... The existing casings were 97mm wide to cover the studwork and plaster on either side, but the timber I have is 95mm, being the closest that was available. This obviously means that there will be a 2mm gap between the frame and the architrave running round the door, or 1mm if I spread the gap over both sides.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this? I have searched and it seems that 97mm width timber is not a common size. The house was built in the late 1970's.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
well you can either router out the back of the architraves,or plant on some thin timber onto the door linings,or offer up the archs mark the plaster and carefully chop the plaster off.

If you have loose stops you can rip the linings where the stop will cover the gap, and plant the stop to suit.

There are extension linings available - these can be adjusted to suit the width.

Sponsored Links
Decorators caulk will possibly crack, and definitely pull away due to vibration. All caulks and sealants will look shoddy.

I doubt it would be anymore susceptible to cracking as gloss paint! Decorators caulk is flexible as well

I would fit the casing and then offer up some architrave to see how it fits. It its only 2mm you may well find it looks fine especially if its wide architrave.

For 1mm I probably wouldn't bother the angle the arch will sit at will probably be inperceptable, if you are worried I would do as greggers says and cut the plaster back

Apologies to above, i hadn't realised we were talking about a 1mm or 2mm discrepancy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back