Framing a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 doors to put into a stud wall.

I assume i should make a 10mm all round allowance to fit in the door casing (32mm pine) when fitting the regularised timber (45x95mm), so the vertical stud timbers would be (10+32)+3+door width(812mm)+3+(10+32) = 904mm apart, edge to edge. (3mm clear margin)

Being in a loft I also assume the door casings should be 'Firecheck' ?

What width door casing should I specify, looking at my Selco catalogue I am confused by the door casings widths, sold in 115mm or 138mm. Using a 95mm wide stud timber, with a layer of plaster board each side makes the wall width 120mm (95+12.5+12.5), 115 or 138mm. When the architrave is put on, if using a 138mm width casing leaves a 9mm gap each side round the back of the architrave. I could put an extra layer of plasterboard on to help maybe ? is it normal practice to simply fill in the gap - seems a bit odd I cant buy a casing that is better suited, or is that just how it is ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back