Side-hinged garage door recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have wooden side-hinged double garage doors that are rotten and as I have a front extension with new door going in, I felt now was a good time to upgrade.

I was initially looking at an electric roller door but it won't really suit our 1950s house, and we much prefer the look of side hinged doors but I don't want the hassle of dealing with wooden doors. A local company has suggested insulated steel Novoferm doors (Berwick) but they are wedge, likely over £3k installed. I feel as if going forward with this, without a recommendation, or doing any research is a massive punt.

So are these good doors? Would this be a 'normal' price or are there decent alternatives that I'm not aware of?

Appreciate any guidance as always.

Sponsored Links
New wooden doors would cost about the same and if treated and raised off the ground should last as long, Steel rusts and wood rots but looks better on a house imo.

New wooden doors would cost about the same and if treated and raised off the ground should last as long, Steel rusts and wood rots but looks better on a house imo.
I've struggled with the current wooden doors TBH, they crack and paint peels within a couple of years and need stripping and doing again, same with my front door. Just don't want the extra maintenance right now. If I can get 15 years out of a set of doors then I'll be ok with that.

I would agree though, wood does look much better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back