What span for deck joist noggins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've been working on my first deck as and when I have time which has turned into a monster project (for me at least) but almost there. For the most part I have spans of 1.45m (47x100 c24) and trying to work out if it's worth putting noggins in or not. I've tried to find out online what spans they are recommended for but the info as all floors or and studs, or decks with much larger spans. Everything feels solid and I know the composite deck going on top will brace it well, but curious what others think. Thanks!

Attachments

• deck-noggins.jpg
    deck-noggins.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
. For the most part I have spans of 1.45m (47x100 c24)
If the spans of the joists are 1.45, what about the beams? It looks like they are also 4 by 2s over similar spans, which seems a bit lean given how many joists the middle beam picks up.

If the spans of the joists are 1.45, what about the beams? It looks like they are also 4 by 2s over similar spans, which seems a bit lean given how many joists the middle beam picks up.

Yes that's right, all same thickness. There's posts every 1-1.5m (depending where) that are down at least 2foot. Checked with various tables and online here in a couple of posts and consensus was it was ample. Seems solid too. (There are 25 posts in that picture, just hard to see)

Sponsored Links
In that case ours is well over engineered, I doubled up the centre beam on ours, it's max span 2.5m on 6 by 2 C24 joists!
Having said that, I was looking at the standards for 30 year life deck that would be on New build developments, hence everything is UC4 treated or durable wood.

In that case ours is well over engineered, I doubled up the centre beam on ours, it's max span 2.5m on 6 by 2 C24 joists!
Having said that, I was looking at the standards for 30 year life deck that would be on New build developments, hence everything is UC4 treated or durable wood.

Yeah it's a hard one to know when enough is enough and you can drive yourself crazy in the research. I found all the clearspan tables/forumlas complicated as there's a lot of subjective info regarding the applied weights and ultimately what someone deems as enough flex. I would have gone thicker of i could and cross battened, which would have saved a lot of work perhaps, but ive done it all on my own and that would have been a lot of digging as i needed to hit under the door of the house and it matches up to my garden office out of shot. At end of day im not a builder and I'm sure a pro would have done things differently, but it doesnt move when i jump on it so that passes the test for me.

Checked with various tables and online here in a couple of posts and consensus was it was ample.
If you're talking about this post, the answers were about joists and beams were not mentioned. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/c24-joist-span-weights.589817/
Having said that it's unlikely to snap, it just seems lean to me.
Yeah it's a hard one to know when enough is enough and you can drive yourself crazy in the research. I found all the clearspan tables/forumlas complicated as there's a lot of subjective info regarding the applied weights and ultimately what someone deems as enough flex. I would have gone thicker of i could and cross battened, which would have saved a lot of work perhaps, but ive done it all on my own and that would have been a lot of digging as i needed to hit under the door of the house and it matches up to my garden office out of shot. At end of day im not a builder and I'm sure a pro would have done things differently, but it doesnt move when i jump on it so that passes the test for me.
Agree, if it last long enough, and extra cost and effort is wasted!
I was only conservative because so many people pooh-poohed decking as something that rots in no time, but clearly commercial decking lasts for many many years.

Good luck with your project!

If you're talking about this post, the answers were about joists and beams were not mentioned. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/c24-joist-span-weights.589817/
Having said that it's unlikely to snap, it just seems lean to me.

Agree, if it last long enough, and extra cost and effort is wasted!
I was only conservative because so many people pooh-poohed decking as something that rots in no time, but clearly commercial decking lasts for many many years.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks yeah I think i asked a few questions, but did a fair bit of research. I've seen a few videos where larger dedicated teams do the same thing so just figured it was fine; i considered digging down and adding a few pavers i have sitting around as padstones, but it seemed overkill as there's so many posts, but i still might at the end. Definitely won't snap, at the very least a little flex but i can't feel any. Never thought of doubling up though, perhaps that's something I should have done in hindsight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back