What strength mortar for bedding steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm preparing our concrete kitchen floor before getting vinyl fitted.

The builders decided to run our services across the floor by cutting a channel in the concrete floor. This has left me with a 15 cm gap that I need to bridge with something solid (there are copper pipes etc underneath).

I've decided to use a sheet of 8 mm steel and have prepared a rebate either side of the channel to take the steel (so that the floor finish is flat, ready for the flooring screed to go on top).

I intend to lay the steel sheet on a mortar bed. Do you think this is the right approach to take? If yes, what strength mix should I use?

Thanks!

Rusty

Sponsored Links
12mm wbp ply would be better.

No prob's (structurally) with the steel other than temperature issues and perhaps a bit of condensation.

Thanks for the response noseall.

Do you think 12mm wbp ply would be strong enough to walk on etc without flexing too much (it's a 15 cm span)?

I hadn't thought of the condensation issues with steel. The steel is going to be screeded and have vinly flooring laid on top. If I do go for the steel, is it worth fixing some Kingspan to the underside to reduced the likelihood of condensation?

Sponsored Links
12mm ply over a 150mm gap will not flex a great deal.

If you must use steel then seal it well and perhaps fill the void with fibreglass insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back