What system would you put in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbing a bungalow. Long term we will want to extend into the loft but for now all rooms are on one level with one bathroom inc bath, seperate shower, toilet and basin, kitchen, second toilet and basin, 3 other rooms and two bedrooms.
10 radiators in all.
Have a floor standing stelrad mexico with gravity fed cylinder in loft at present. We will rent the property in the future so hasle fee fit would be ideal. We want to move the boiler out of the kitchen to either loft or flat roofed extn.

Not sure what system to go with to be honest. First quote recieved recommends a conensing combi in the extension with flue through the roof which i want to avoid with leaks in mind....

What would you do?.

Sponsored Links
Combi, about 28kW or more for decent hot water. Roof flues aren't a problem.

An electric shower is useful as a backup for when the combi packs up, which it will.
If there's a second shower, use it for that.

I'd recommend a vaillant ecotec pro 28. Its a 28kw condensing combi located and flued like your quote said. If you get a good installer there won't be any trouble with roof leaks. The loft has to have a permanent light and has to be boarded to work on the boiler

Loft is lit and ready to be boarded... not a problem. Plus decent loft ladder fitted.

The flue through the flat roof was my concern not through a standard sloped tiled roof?

"An electric shower is useful as a backup for when the combi packs up, which it will."

Which it will.... blimey - not much confidence there!

Was also thinking of possibly keeping the DHW tank and having it zoned from the heating cct. I have fitted similar in my own house, i live in an area beset by regular power cuts and it comes in handy. I have the kitchen and one shower room from the tank and another larger bathroom off the combi. 3 port valve controlled - been working for 10 years since reading about the idea in a HVAC industrial magazine.

Sponsored Links
if your looking to extend into the loft I assume you'd be looking to put in an ensuite, which gives you 2 bathrooms a wc and kitchen. Personally i think that a 28kw combi may lead to dissapointment depending on how many people are living there really.
You may be better off with a tank, possibly unvented. I'm not saying don't get a combi just be aware of its limitations in regards to water flow.
Where abouts in essex are you? i may be able to recommend someone

depends on what your water pressure is like. If you've got good pressure and flow, you might be better off with an unvented cylinder. Even if not, a standard cylinder can be used to just as good effect. Ideally if you can get a good installer, they'll talk you through the pros and cons.
There are some good package units as well if space is premium, such as the glowworm ultrapower and viesmann 222.
I don't know anyone that way i'm afraid, bit far the wrong way.

Personally i'd probably offer one of 2 options:
atag a325ec combi
or
atag a200s + uv cylinder.
both options can utilise Weather compensation and opentherm controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back