What to add to Consumer Unit for an electric Shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am going to install a 9.5kW electric shower. I am quite ahppy with the plumbing side but what do I need to add to my consumer unit? I have a split way, consumer unit, so it has an RCD protected side on one half.
I plan to wire in 10mm from the shower to a dipole switch and then back to the consumer unit.
What do I actually need to fit to the consumer unit? Its a Hager make and has three spare fuseways. Which side does it go on and what else do I need to take into consideration?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am going to install a 9.5kW electric shower. I am quite ahppy with the plumbing side but what do I need to add to my consumer unit? I have a split way, consumer unit, so it has an RCD protected side on one half.
You will need to follow the manufacturers instructions with regard to the size of the MCB and the circuit must be additonally protected by an RCD.

I plan to wire in 10mm from the shower to a dipole switch and then back to the consumer unit.
10mm is a pain in the bum to get into a standard 45Amp dual pole switch (which seemed to be set up for 2 * 6mm cable) so I would go for a 50Amp - bit more room in the terminals.
What do I actually need to fit to the consumer unit? Its a Hager make and has three spare fuseways. Which side does it go on and what else do I need to take into consideration?
Many thanks in advance.
As stated above you will need an MCB determined by the mi - probably a 40Amp possibly a 50Amp depending on whether the 9.5kw power is derived from 240v or 230v.

You can do this work yourself if you feel confident and consider yourself competent, but you will need to notifiy the Local Authority Building Control and pay their fee before you start work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back