powering a shower consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a 9.5kw shower, wired with 10.0mm cable, switched with 50A pull switch, connected to a sperate shower (63A 30mA RCD, with a spare 50A Type B MCB) consumer unit.
My problem is where do i source the power for this new consumer unit and will i need to use 16.0mm cable or will 10.0mm be sufficient to power it?
My existing consumer unit does not give me the option of a source - i.e. nowhere to connect 10.0mm or larger cable.
Do i need to use a junction box and power both consumer units from this box? if so where can i obtain one?

Sponsored Links
adding a shower CU is not rocket science but you must work carefully and make the connections well

remember bad connections on a 50A cuircuit can be bad enough and this is 100A wiring so take care

this is a shower CU
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=05435&id=69659
p1591610_l.jpg

(you can change the mcb to a 40A if suitable)

you will need to henly block it into the tails this is done as follows
fit a double pole henly block to the fuseboard
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=05950&id=14850
p1431955_l.jpg

turn off the main switches on both the existing CU and the new CU
PULL THE SERVICE FUSE (TAKE CARE SOME OLDER SERVICE FUSE UNITS LEAVE AN EXPOSED LIVE WHEN YOU PULL THE FUSE)
remove the tails from the meter to the existing cu
use fresh 25mm red and black double insulated tails to rewire the cu's

connect meter to henly block
conenct henly block to main cu
connect henly block to shower cu

conenct the earth from the new CU to your main earth terminal
http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLEB8.html
TLEB8.jpg
useing 16mm earth cable if you do not have one install it between the main earth and the CU useing 16mm cable from the main eart to the main earth terminal and from the main earth terminal to the cu and move main equipotential bonds to it

put the service fuse back
turn back on main switches

Plug

As mentioned many times before by various posters, *ffing about with the cut-out is a no-no, esp. for DIY'ers, if only from a safety POV, let alone the legalities......

DIY'ers : PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL ELECTRICITY COMPANY FOR ADVICE ABOUT FITTING AN ADDITIONAL OR REPLACEMENT CU. IN THE CASE OF AN ADDITIONAL LOAD, THE REC SHOULD KNOW IN ADVANCE IN CASE THEY NEED TO UPGRADE THEIR SUPPLY.

TAMPERING WITH THE CUT-OUT CAN BE LETHAL, AND UNLAWFUL

Sponsored Links
Cheers, the Henly block is what i was after, just couldnt find a supplier local to me, open when i wasnt working. I now have one now.
Thanks

would it be ok to connect the leads that supply the existing consumer unit

on the consumer side of the main switch in to a henly block and then

connect the new shower unit and the exising unit to the henly block ??

Can you confirm this .

Possibly my wording is not too good.

The cables i mean are not the ones that feed the consumer unit from the

main fuse but the ones that come out of the on off switch on the

consumer side nor the side whwere thay enter the switch.

Which means thay would not be live if i switched the switch off

they would be too small, so its not an option, best idea is to run the cable from shower, get electricain to do the rest

In any case, if you do what you're suggesting, you are altering the use and intended purpose of the consumer unit, and that is not to be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back