What to ask when getting a CH installation quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want an old back boiler/storage tank CH system removed and a complete new install of a combi system. When I get companies in for a quote are there any pertinent technical questions I should ask or is there any waffle I should listen out for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
He should test mains pressure flow to check OK for combi, and enquire into your usage of HW. Look at age of rads - assess suitability for conversion toi high pressure. Maybe new rads, almost certainly new valves unless yours are perfect.
Oldsystem so powerflushing a must if keeping old rads (can make a good argument for renewing them). ASk how long it might take. Up to a day would be likely.
Ask how big gas pipe will have to be - someone who overdoes it would get my vote.
COnsider carefully the make of boiler suggested, especially if it will be a condenser. Avoid obscure makes - come here and ask perhaps.

Sponsored Links
Chris evidently works faster than I can imagine! A lot of energy is required to make a heavy mass move quickly!

With two good people on the job, I would allow 3 1/2 days to remove a back boiler, disconnect and/or remove loft tanks, power flush the radiators, change all rad valves and install and commission a new condensing combi boiler. Another 15 minutes to notify CORGI too !

A competent engineer will point out that you need thermostatic radiator valves on most radiators. Ask for his CORGI number and CHECK it on the web at corgi-gas.org Also ask if he has done the energy efficiency course ( will be shown on his CORGI card too ). Ask if he knows about Part P and how he is going to manage it!

Above all ENSURE the Benchmark Certificate is filled in AND he can show evidence that Building Control has been notified.

Tony Glazier

This site has some useful information about selecting an energy efficient boiler but make a note of this
Small differences in the calculated SAP seasonal efficiency values are not significant and should not be relied on when comparing boilers
when you read the boiler efficiency database.

Brilliant - thanks all. We want to replace everything - rads, valves, pipes, boiler, the lot. Would 5 days be a realistic timescale?

Agile said:
Chris evidently works faster than I can imagine! A lot of energy is required to make a heavy mass move quickly!

With two good people on the job, I would allow 3 1/2 days to remove a back boiler, disconnect and/or remove loft tanks, power flush the radiators, change all rad valves and install and commission a new condensing combi boiler. Another 15 minutes to notify CORGI too !

A competent engineer will point out that you need thermostatic radiator valves on most radiators. Ask for his CORGI number and CHECK it on the web at corgi-gas.org Also ask if he has done the energy efficiency course ( will be shown on his CORGI card too ). Ask if he knows about Part P and how he is going to manage it!

Above all ENSURE the Benchmark Certificate is filled in AND he can show evidence that Building Control has been notified.

Tony Glazier

I believe he was referring to the time it takes to powerflush a system.

Thankyou Artful. Tony always loves to take the pi55 out of anything he can find, especially where he knows the person. He doesn't worry about reading or quoting carefully first though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back