What to do about storage heaters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to look at a house that needs renovating but is has got the old electric storage heating. I am a plasterer so heating is really not my thing. Therefore i was wondering what advice people could give me about maybe changing to central heating? I know it is expensive but would it pay off in the long run? Also if people think it is best to leave them in then is there a way of upgrading them to make the system efficent?

I know it is a lot of questions but any help would be really appreciated

Phil

Sponsored Links
For an old house it is probably well worth installing gas-fired central heating. Use a boiler size calculator to figure out heating needs.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...elpful-Tools/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-wizard

http://www.sedbuk.com/whole_house.htm

Depending on the number of bathrooms, it might be worth considering a combination boiler for a single bathroom.

The factors against GFCH include annual servicing costs. For a small flat these might be more than savings using gas.

I installed a DIY central heating last year by dropping the damaged ceiling and running the pipes through the joists. I didn't leave any access to the joints as I reckon any leak will make its own access through the ceiling.

First question do you have gas in the block? If so a gas boiler would be the most effecient in using on a daily basis bar the install costs.

If no gas then there are electric boilers which will run a wet radiator system this has alot more flexibility over the overnight storage brick monsters.

Pete

sorry for some reason I had a flat in my head must be the storage heaters element

Sponsored Links
I really cannot see the point in a wet central heating system powered by an electric boiler. You might just as well have a few electric heaters around the place. With storage heaters you do at least get cheap[er] energy.

However, when I bought a house with storage heaters, the first thing I did was to remove them, and put gas in. Two really fit guys can carry them assembled, but don't come back to me if you hurt yourself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back