What to do with a damp wooden subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leaky stop-cock in my kitchen which we noticed when the old cork floor tiles started to pop-up.

In some ways this was a benefit as we've been meaning to get rid of these nasty things and them getting damp has helped the cause. However now I've lifted up a few layers of tile, board and lino I've discovered that the wooden floorboards underneath have got quite damp.

They don't appear to have warped but I realise I'll need to get them dry before I go sticking something down on top.

Do you guys reckon it would hurt to speed up the drying process by using a dehumidifier?

Sponsored Links
dehumidifier would be fine although i would just leave the door open when you can and a window open slightly for a while.

wood needs to stay wet for at least 8 weeks before rot will set in.

Thanks for the reply. There's a possibility it has been wet longer than 8 weeks. Anything I should do to treat the wood in case it has started to rot?

Sponsored Links
it's a difficult one to call as u really need a meter to monitor what's happening to the moisture level. i'm a firm believer if it's not broke don't fix it. so would say keep an eye on the floorboards and make sure they do dry out. the odds of getting rot are NOT high so i feel you'll most likely be ok.

the trouble is rot follows an exponential curve - not much to see to start with (your looking for dry wood feeling spongy). ideally u also need to check underneath at the joists to be sure all's well (but lifting floor boards if you don't need to is a bit ott). i would try to check in say 6mths to be sure.

if u do think u need to treat (and i doubt it) then:

the trouble with the treatments is that you ideally need to apply all round ie under the floorboards and the joists. they are also quite expensive. all builders merchants and diy's will have what you would need. they are generally liquids and can be sprayed on with an old window cleaner sprayer for example. use a brush on the top surfaces to get as much of the liquid to sink in. generally the 1st 2 ft of the joist from the wall is most at risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back