Wet wooden Sub-Floor in bathroom!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Last year I laid down a new wooden floor (floorboards) throughout my bungalow. I did this by sealing the concrete floor that was already there, laying down a damp proof membrane, a frame of treated battens on top of that and then the floorboards

In the bathroom I put chipboard down on the battens and tiled over that. I noticed that the grout I used (flexible wooden floor adhesive/grout ) was becoming cracked and basically looked crap, so I decided to take up the tiles and do it again with actual grout.

This morning I took up the tiles to discover the chipboard was soaked through throughout the bathroom and water was collecting on the dpm...

I am thinking my combination adhesive/grout is to blame. Am I right? After I have dried out, treated the sub-floor and laid new chipboard down, I am thinking of re-tiling and then grouting the whole floor with silicone sealant.

Does this sound like the right option? Or have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
You are better of with thick ply. It's water resistant and doesn't flex as much.
While you have the floor up but a few extra battons down to make it flex less.

Or simply tile onto your concrete floor - but it will be colder.

Don't use silicone for grout.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back