grout line size for marble floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi have bought some marble floor tiles to go in a basement. The floor consists of concrete with delta ms 20 damp proof membrane and then t&g 22mm chipboard. (could not screw this down to avoid damage to membrane).

the marble adhesive says it is flexible. My wife says that in spain the grout line is minimal ie to the point that the tiles touch. As this is my first time so to speak should i have a grout line or not? The floor has some small dips but generally is level.

regards

Sponsored Links
pb21
WHAT A NIGHTMARE substrate ..lol

best plan of attack is ripping up t&g 22mm chipboard an getting a leveling compound down an tile too that , Oh Yes ... ;)

Wife is right you can butt joint them but I have seen very nice 1mm or 2mm grout lines

The type of joint she has seen is called "grind in place" the tiles are laid with minimal joints then reground and polished in situe. Its not a DIY job but if you want it done you will be looking at £300-400 per sq mtr :(

I would also rip up the chipboard, but BAL do have a recommended method for tiling floating chipboard floors but it may not be upto natural stones needs.

Jason

Sponsored Links
"grind in place" = butt jointed ...then polished,...

with reclaimed marble
natural stones , its a level strong No movement base.......

awful , nasty job , can picture it before
:( :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back