Laying Ceramic tiles on wooden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had ceramic tiles laid on top of wooden floorboards in my bathroom. The tiler said that the boards were level and there was no need to screw them down or cover them. He laid the tiles directly onto the boards. I've since been told that they will probably lift and crack. Is this so? If so? How long would it take for this to happen and if it does, will it be possible to take the tiles up to re-do the floor properly without breaking them and will I be able to remove the adhesive/grout? Help!

Sponsored Links
I think you have been done. You might as well wait until they start cracking & lifting.
The chances are you will be able to remove the grout & adhesive if you leave them for a week or so in water, then let them dry. You need to lay a ply wood base fixed at regular intervals before re laying them.
You may well find they stay put for many years as they are.

Thanks for that. We should have been suspicious when he tethered his horse outside!

Depends how good your floorboards are. It could be a day or two, or it could be a month or two. It also depends what adhesive he used - if he used a cheap flexible adhesive it'll come up quicker than a decent brand. I would say though that I'd expect your tiles to come loose..... sorry. :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments. It's now two weeks on and the tiles are ok. Have we been lucky or should we still expect the worst?

Patw said:
Thanks for your comments. It's now two weeks on and the tiles are ok. Have we been lucky or should we still expect the worst?

Tell us how they are in about 6 months time :evil:. Would be interesting to know :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back