Damp under ply covering in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just spent the weekend tearing up a (ceramic) tiled bathroom floor, which I intend to re-lay with cork tiles. I took the ceramic tiles up betcause the adhesive was crumbling and some of the tiles had come loose.

With the tiles up, the (9mm) ply underneath was visibly damp in some areas, and upon lifting the ply I can see that some areas of the surface underneath are also damp. I've been unable to lift the surface underneath as it's some kind of tongue-and-groove sheet-board affair (~1 inch thick) and doesn't look easy to remove without doing the whole thing. I believe there's another layer of flooring underneath that (possibly floorboards, possibly another layer of the same) before you get to the joists, but I can't tell without lifting what's currently there.

Is there any easy way to tell the source of the damp? It's not over the entire floor, and while some areas (e.g. at the tap end of the bath, to the left of the WC basin) are completely dry, others (in front of the sink, to the right of the WC basin) are damp to the point of being rotten in places.

On the face of it, it looks like it could've simply been the poor quality tiling that was there before letting water through to the ply underneath (also quite poorly laid, with big gaps), where it got stuck. Is this possible, or do I need to get a pro in to take a look?

In any case, is it possible to do a DIY job to fix this? Presumably if I can isolate the source of the damp, once what's there is dry it's just a case of sealing and starting again?

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies for the lengthiness of my post!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back