What to do with fireplaces now that we have underfloor heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure where to post this. We are in the midst of a full back-to-bricks renovation project. Our heating engineer convinced us that UFH was the way to go, since we had to dig up and replace the existing floors anyway. The original fireplaces also had to come out, to allow some brickwork repairs to the chimney breast.
The fireplaces are now an open canvas, but we're not sure what to do. Woodburners would look good, but obviously there's no point running these if UFH is switched on. Could just leaving them as feature recesses, but not sure whether that would be the right thing either. Looking for some advice really, maybe someone else has been in this predicament?

Sponsored Links
Feature recesses are good as long as you leave a hole ( covered by a vent ) in the top of the recess to allow the flue to "breathe" If you build them in flat you still need the vent on the front.

Keep them because your underfloor heating will be rubbish.

You probably won't have your underfloor heating on when we suddenly get a cold day in summer. So I would use them as a place to fit some sort of fire.

Sponsored Links
Have very efficient central heating but also a wood burner which keeps my gas bill to about 60% of what it used to be .

Keep them because your underfloor heating will be rubbish.
Hi Pete thanks for your response, why would UFH be rubbish? Interested to know your experience. So far, it seems pretty good but haven't yet put down the final flooring finish, so we'll see..

Thanks all for the replies, now thinking that maybe a woodburner would be good as an alternative heat source, plus I guess it's a good selling point for any house.

Great in new builds that are highly insulated, not always so good in older properties though; hopefully, you'll be okay, but stick a woodburner in for cold days, and reducing heating costs - and for the sheer fun of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back