What to do with my flower bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went and bought a bunch of flower bulbs with the intention of brightening up our (Yorkshire) garden come spring/summer next year. By the time they got delivered we had that first snow. Since then its not really been possible to plant them (the original snow is still there in places and more snow has fallen, etc.).

What do I do now?

- Can I still plant them (daffs, crocus, tulips)?
- If so, when/how and will I get anything from them this year?

Or am I wasting my time as they are scrap and should concentrate on painting them bright colours and hanging them from the Christmas tree (or just leave them out for the mice)?

Cheers (Merry Christmas)

Sponsored Links
buy potting compost & put them in big pots/tubs and leave outside in a sheltered place - they will flower a bit later than normal, when they have finished flowering then plant them in your garden.

Pot is an absolute must otherwise the bulbs will dry off but they can be planted in the garden in late winter if the weather allows it. I'm not sure for tulips but daffs and crocus will not 'resent' you if you plant them in garden before flowering.

Sponsored Links
I'd plant them out as soon as weather permits. This week is mostly warmer. I had that problem with tulips last year, and put them out late. Apart from a few that were shrivelled or mouldy, they came out late and some did not flower, but they have made big healthy bulbs so should do well this year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back