What to do with the gap between kitchen cabinets and wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are repainting the old kitchen in the house we moved into a year ago, and I'm wondering if there is anything we can do about the big gap between the kitchen cabinets and the tiled wall? It's quite a big gap so not sure if caulk can be of any use, though seems like the previous owner did try that? Thanks!

Attachments

• gap 1.jpg
    gap 1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 143
  • gap 2.jpg
    gap 2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 133
  • gap 3.jpg
    gap 3.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Eventually figured out that the Gap is from the Bottom of the Wall Cabinets to the Wall Tiles. :)

Can you see it from where you would normally stand? I can't in my Kitchen.
If not, you could leave it.

Might be able to fill it with Silicone
Or silicone/glue something like this in to cover the Gap

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-White-Quadrant-17-5-x-2500mm/p/162617

Eventually figured out that the Gap is from the Bottom of the Wall Cabinets to the Wall Tiles. :)

Thanks a lot! My 6ft partner never complained about it, but me being 5ft tall told him that I look at it all the time! :unsure::unsure:

I am about 6ft and we have trims/lights under the Cabinets.

It would annoy me if I could see it !
Should be able to tidy up easily/cheaply enough.

Sponsored Links
For the joint between wall and cupboards I 'd recommend Plastic beading or Scotia both of which are easily available. Once that's in place you could add a 'Pelmet' to the underside of the cupboards, say about inch&1/2 (35mm) deep and have strip lights behind it for more light in the kitchen working area.

Or you can use a piece of matching cornice, if you can find it.

Some like to screw a strip to the wall so the cabinets are resting on it, which lines them up while you adjust the hangers.

Much cheaper from Eurocell,com - I don't have a gap, because I trimmed the worktop to be a very tight fit to the wall, but I don't like silicon to tidy it up. Instead I used the quadrant from Eurocell, stuck in place with sealant, then the surplus cleaned off. In addition, I used it around the bath - It makes for a nice easy to clean surface.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back