What to do with this ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I stripped off the artex of this bedroom ceiling (no asbestos, I got it tested) and it revealed an original lath and plaster ceiling.
I can see plaster (grey) and two coats of something, one white and one blue-ish. It creates a rather uneven surface for painting.
There's also some cracks.
Assuming its lime plaster I don't ideally want to pull it down or board it as I like that its original and breathable, how should I go about renovating it? Assuming it can....
Cheers.

IMG_1353.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looks like the original horse hair plaster. Will probably have distemper on it, best way to seal it apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz. Then fill and paint as normal. If it is really uneven there may be no other option but to Re Plaster.

Hello.
I stripped off the artex of this bedroom ceiling (no asbestos, I got it tested) and it revealed an original lath and plaster ceiling.
I can see plaster (grey) and two coats of something, one white and one blue-ish. It creates a rather uneven surface for painting.
Assuming its lime plaster I don't ideally want to pull it down or board it as I like that its original and breathable, how should I go about renovating it? Assuming it can....
Cheers.

View attachment 92030

just put plastering mesh tape for cracks, apply pva to the whole surface and plaster. to be sure that the cracks will not appear you can use 1m wide mesh wich should put between coats of plaster to the whole plastered surface. cracks will not come back then.

Hello.
Cheers.

View attachment 92030

just put plastering mesh tape for cracks, apply pva to the whole surface and plaster. to be sure that the cracks will not appear you can use 1m wide mesh wich should put between coats of plaster to the whole plastered surface. cracks will not come back then.
Robs Decorators

Sponsored Links
Most plasterers these days prefer gypsum plaster, but some will still use lime. One issue you have to consider is the weight of excessive plaster on the underlying laths - a good plasterer will let you know all about that. If you do use a lime plaster, make sure you use a breathable paint to decorate.

Most plasterers these days prefer gypsum plaster, but some will still use lime. One issue you have to consider is the weight of excessive plaster on the underlying laths - a good plasterer will let you know all about that. If you do use a lime plaster, make sure you use a breathable paint to decorate.

That's my concern. I think I either need to take it down and re-board / skim or repair it. I'm just wondering if the latter is possible.

To save mess you could possibly overboard the original. This is a common method that doesn't put the stress of extra plaster weight on the laths. Obviously, there is more weight on the above joists that the plasterboard will be mechanically fixed to (screws) so you still need to ensure they are strong enough to take the weight (the vast majority are fine but some smaller joists will bow/sag).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back