what to do with unhappy tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom has lovely porcelain tiles that wont stay firm and grouted. All tiles, adhesive and grout from Porcelainosa or BAL, installed by professionals, but who seem to be reaching the limit of their skills by what shouldn't be that tricky a job. Total bathroom area about 9x6'

The (first floor) base is a wooden ply on original 1930s joists that is far from flat, although extra noggins have been put between the joists since the first go.

The tiles have been laid and grouted three times each time by a different proper tiler, and they have started rocking again, with the grout disappearing. With the amount of water splashing about at kids' bathtimes, I'm worried about water getting through gaps in the grout and not drying.

Taking all the tiles up would be tricky, as they run throughout the bathroom under the bath, that is itself fitted and fixed into a gap by the wall tiles, so I don't see taking the bath out as an option, though the sink and WC, and boiler cupboard could.

If I'd known the hassle I would have had a more forgiving flooring in the first place - probably high quality vinyl - I love the Moduleo stuff we have in the kitchen. However the same porcelain tiles have been fine in a nearby ensuite on the same type of floor.

Options seem to be:

1. lay vinyl product on top of tiles. Would improve waterproofing but movement would still be an issue.

2. have another tiler have a go at re-laying, hope they stay firm this time.

3. take as many out as possible after removing sink and wc, have the accessible subfloor properly sorted out and tiles laid again

4. as 3. but finish in vinyl (my preferred, probably most expensive)

Any expert thoughts most welcome!

Sponsored Links
What is the sub floor? If it's not plywood that's the first problem right there. Same if the joists are not meaty enough and allow any bounce.

If the grout is working loose its because the tiles are moving.

Whilst vinyl on top will keep the floor dry it will show all of the grout lines through.

Establish why it keeps failing before you let anyone else loose on it.

Tiles and kids requires very robust workmanship or they will fail. I ripped up my bathroom floor because of this and fitted vinyl, I still have the kitchen to tackle!

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are solid and you can't take them up you could-
Prime the floor neat with a floor primer like Fball stopgap P131
Then use a fibre screeding compound on top like Fball stopgap 700

You could use level flex screed which might be easier to source.

Them screeding allow some movement then you could have your Moduleo , which is my favourite LVT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back