What to set a WC pan on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm completing refurbishing our upstairs toilet. I've laid Karndean composite click flooring and about to fit the toilet back in but wondering what to set the pan on if anything.

The WC is a close couple back to the wall unit and when I push the pan in and against the wall and there is a gap to the wall so when I bolt up the pan the front of the pan has about a 1-2mm gap. Do I just ease off the screws and then silicone the pan to the floor and up around the gap to the wall or do I try and set the pan tight to the back wall and then set the pan on something to take up the gap? If I do it that way using silicone under the pan will it be supportive enough to stop any pressure being put on the rear wall fixings.

Thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
I would always fit the pan flat to the floor, if anything needs taken up then it should be at the back of the cistern. Even then though, the pan should always be set out before the final flooring goes down to ensure the floor, at that point, is flat and if not can be made so.

That’s what my thoughts were, thanks. The floor is flat and level but the wall is not vertical.

Yup ... there's always tends to be one part of it that's never quite square, bain of our life when it comes to fitting shower trays and baths and the corners are a mile out. Same with toilets as you are finding.

Sometimes there is a little give in the cistern to pan connection (doughnut @ the close couple) that allows the cistern to be 'leant' back a little to make up the gap with a thin baton and then tightened to the wall and then the bottom bolts nipped up. Hopefully the gap isn't too bad. As long as the pan is flat to the floor then it shouldn't rock and put any stress on the coupling that may be slightly out when getting used. Hopefully the lid will then cover up any the slight gap.

Sponsored Links
There should only be a small from the pan to the wall, so a bead of silicone will cover that fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back