what to use on white oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just had white oak spindles, newal posts and hand rail fitted.

I need to oil/varnish but want to keep it looking as natural as possible, anyone got any suggestions on what i should use?

I've also had all new internal oak doors fitted and i was hoping to use the same thing on them too.

any help would be great

Rob

Sponsored Links
Thanks for bring to my attention awbcm.

So many options.....

You could try the traditional Shellac Sanding Sealer and wax option which is perfect for skirting and doors but perhaps not such a good choice for handrails. SSS & Wax produces (IMO) one of the nicest looking subtle silk/satin finishes around.

However, you may be after something a bit more durable so you could try a waterbased clear coating in a matt finish. The benefit of these types of products are that they will not alter the colour of your oak. Tip: wet the surface with a damp cloth, this is the colour you will achieve and it will stay that way unlike certain oils that have a tendency of going slightly yellow over a period of time.

I hope that this information helps, if you have any other questions, please come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back