What type insulation above shop suspended ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure which forum - "Building" didn't seem appropriate.

I'll have to get an EPC for this shop at some stage and I assume I can improve the score by insulating above the ceiling.

129 shop ceiling.jpg

Its in a Victorian three storey terrace building, and the flat above has insulation bales below its floorboards, and sound-proofing wool/foam as part of the sound-deadening floor.

Of course the EPC assessor cannot give me credit for that, as he won't be able to see it, so I'm thinking of improving the score with what I can show him.

Can someone give me the name of the type of insulation please, so I know what to search for? In the flat above it was sized to fit between the joists but I think it comes in various widths, so will hopefully be available in the same width as these "standard" ceiling tiles.

1) As it stands (hangs) it probably has just enough wires to support it. The extra weight might be an issue.

2) I believe the cables should lie on top of the insulation?

3) Not shown in the pic, there are several fluorescent tube units, each the size of the tile, with four tubes each. Should the insulation be laid over these, or must they be allowed to radiate heat upward?

Any comments/advice will be much appreciated.

Regards - braniff

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back