Insulation & Soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure this is the correct forum, if not - I apologise!

I have just removed my lathe and plaster ceiling in my front room. I now have the ceiling/floor joists exposed. I am on the ground floor and have a flat above. If I just attach plasterboard to the underside of the joists I will be just heating the flat above. Can I put insulation between the ceiling/floor joists (ie directly under the floorboards of the flat above)? If so it will have to be flame retardant - does anyone know which type of insulation to use?

Then I plan to seal the insulation in with soundproof plasterboard (presumably this is flame retardant too?). Then I will put the false ceiling up with approx 100mm gap for the halogen downlights I'm installing.

So what I need to know is:

1. Can I put insulation between the joists & directly beneath the floorboards in the flat above?
2. What insulation should I use? Any brand names I should go for - and it must be flame retardant.
3. Whats the best soundproofing plasterboard to use to seal the insulation in with?

Once again guys - thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
Best to give your BCO a ring as there're rules and building regulations on this issue and their advice is free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back