What type of strain relief do-dah for fixed equipment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently building an amplifier and need to figure out how to get power into the (home-made) case.

The usual method is to use an IEC socket but I don't have the tools and don't trust myself to cut the square hole in the (acrylic) back panel without messing it up, so I want to use a fixed lead.

Can anyone recommend a good cable entry grommet for this purpose that also clamps the cable to provide strain relief? I figured you guys may know as I suspect electricians have to do this kind of thing a lot, or am I way off the mark? :D

edit: The lead will be a 3-core 0.75mm^2 terminated in a moulded plug at the other end.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can anyone recommend a good cable entry grommet for this purpose that also clamps the cable to provide strain relief?
There was a time when I would have used an ordinary grommet, chosen to be a really tight fit (to stop the flex being easily pushed in), and tied a knot in the flex inside to stop it being pulled out.

a blue neutrik powercon connector is a better connector than an IEC socket AND only requires a round hole
Or a traditional Bulgin connector

PX0429_400px.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good cable entry grommet for this purpose that also clamps the cable to provide strain relief?
There was a time when I would have used an ordinary grommet, chosen to be a really tight fit (to stop the flex being easily pushed in), and tied a knot in the flex inside to stop it being pulled out.
That time still occasionally exists for me - or, the slightly more decent variant of a big cable tie or 'clamped on collar', rather than the knot.

Kind Regards, John

Nonsense, it just means that they have to slow down.

It is a scientific fact that when things slow down they get lighter, and lighter electrons become quicker to respond, there's less delay and less "smear" when they have to change direction. In an amplifier this results in a lower noise floor, extended frequency response, lower THD, better dynamic range and a noticeable improvement in clarity.

I am currently developing a productised cable knot, and when ready I shall look into licensing it to Russ Andrews.

Riches beyond the dreams of avarice beckon, as long as we can find enough mug^H^H^H discerning buyers, which I believe is where his area of expertise lies.

bas I got halfway through reading your post and thought "flog it to russ andrews" and then you said it!!!

bas I got halfway through reading your post and thought "flog it to russ andrews" and then you said it!!!
I suspect that the "advertising copy" in the first half of BAS's post was (or could have been) copied/pasted from Mr Andrews' website :)

Kind Regards, John

Went for the cheap plastic gland in the end. Works just fine.

Just to finish the damned thing now.

cbmSejA.jpg

Yes, I am aware I need some heatshrink on those crimp terminals :eek: :D

Nonsense, it just means that they have to slow down.

It is a scientific fact that when things slow down they get lighter, and lighter electrons become quicker to respond, there's less delay and less "smear" when they have to change direction. In an amplifier this results in a lower noise floor, extended frequency response, lower THD, better dynamic range and a noticeable improvement in clarity.

I am currently developing a productised cable knot, and when ready I shall look into licensing it to Russ Andrews.

Riches beyond the dreams of avarice beckon, as long as we can find enough mug^H^H^H discerning buyers, which I believe is where his area of expertise lies.
A knot in the cable will block DC, which is straight, so can't cope with the tight bends. AC will be OK if the frequency is high enough. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back