What type of tile and how do i get under 'em?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. First post.

I am looking to run cable in the upvc above my garage door. The only way i can get in is by lifting tiles on the roof above.

I've had a quick look and i can't really budge them. I am assuming as is usually the case. The first/bottom row is nailed then every third row will be nailed.

I had a go and shoving the 2nd row up with the butt of my hammer but they didn't really move.

I can get under and try to lift them, but obviously it's heavy going as they are all linked and they all want to move together.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190511_204231.jpg
    20190511_204231.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 20190511_204226.jpg
    20190511_204226.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 20190511_204246.jpg
    20190511_204246.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 20190511_204336.jpg
    20190511_204336.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 20190511_204241.jpg
    20190511_204241.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 292
Sponsored Links
Looks like doubles ( two tiles in one)on my roofs every tile is nailed ,easier to just stick a white cable conduit below for cables.

Maybe Marley Ashmore or Redland Duo Plain tiles (there are a couple of others but listed the most common)
All should be nailed and clipped depending on location.
First course may well be clipped at the bottom edge.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe Marley Ashmore or Redland Duo Plain tiles (there are a couple of others but listed the most common)
All should be nailed and clipped depending on location.
First course may well be clipped at the bottom edge.

Thanks for the replies. You might be right about it being Redland Duo Planes. I will tey the builder to see if they can tell me. I've ordered a pry bar so hopefully i will be able to get the ones i need to to get the job done.

How do you plan to re-fix the tiles (given that you won't be able to re-nail them)? Lead straps?

Which kind of cable are you trying to run (and from where to where)?

BTW- welcome to DIYNOT

How do you plan to re-fix the tiles (given that you won't be able to re-nail them)? Lead straps?

Which kind of cable are you trying to run (and from where to where)?

BTW- welcome to DIYNOT

Thanks!

Well, the pry bar will confirm that the second row is either nailed or not. I'm hoping that they're not and i will be able to use it to slide them in and out as I need to.

The cables I need to run are for some spots i want to put in the soffit and cables for cctv.

Just want a tidy job.

They will run above the garage door lintel from the garage.

If it doesn't work out I'll just have to do something else.

You could cut you holes for the lights then you have access to fish cables without lifting any tiles .

if the tiles are clipped then a pry bar wont help. it will just break the channels off.
best bet is to fish the able as suggested

That looks like a new build to me and I would be surprised if all of those tiles are clipped at that low level.

Just been up there with my shiny new pry bar. The first row each tile has 1 nail in and the 2nd row has no nails. Juat hanging off the batton. Very snug and heavy to lift but i think i should be ok.

I don't need to lift loads. Just certain ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back