What type of wood is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a wood expert and was wondering if anyone could identify the wood type of my cabinets. They were built in the 1960's or 1970's. I am currently sanding them to refinish. Also, what stain would you recommend for the type of wood?

TBurr
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert either but my guess is walnut for the narrow strips. The lighter wood I don't recognise but it's just a cheap veneer. You will struggle to get them to match, even if you stain the lighter wood.

Another problem is that the veneer comprises different patterns in parallel strips, which will probably look incongruous when varnished, I would paint them.

Pic 2. shows Beech trim around the door. The actual door panel looks more like ply (Birch?).
I'm not sure but i dont think any veneer is present in the cabinet but the pelmet could be veneer.

I have no idea as to how you would stain any of the trim - you could practice on the inside of the cabinet. Start light and go darker if required.

I think woodweb.com might answer your Q's better. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I'd agree birch ply for the panels , not 100% sure of beech for the surrounds although is is quite possible. Could just be the definition on my monitor of course but I can't really make out any obviously discernible clues in the third picture.
As to what sort of stain ? I'd personally use something like a Colron spirit based stain with the finish of your choice on top , varnish or wax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back