What varnish for a door step?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to fit a new hardwood door frame for my front door. I am painting the uprights and top section in exterior White Satin, but I want to varnish the step in something that won't show scuffs and scratches like white paint would.

Would Yacht Varnish be the best product to use?

The frame will only be exposed to the elements for a few weeks, because I am building a porch that will fully enclose it, and that will have it's own front door eventually.

What I am really after is a varnish that will be robust to constant foot traffic.

Sponsored Links
I've used Marine varnish on my front door step which is hardwood. It really brought out the grain of the wood and still looks great, 2 years on. The step is outside and exposed to the elements.

The three bits of advice I'd give you are:

1) After sanding down the step, make sure you give it a good wipe with methylated spirits to clean the surface ready for the varnish
2) Put two coats (or more) of marine varnish on allowing at least 4 hours between coats (or whatever is indicated on the tin).
3) Allow 2-3 days for the varnish to properly dry before you allow anybody to stand on the step as it will damage the varnish if its not properly dried.

Good luck!

Only thing with varnish is that if it gets chipped or wears through, moisture gets underneath and it starts to go white. A micropourus woodstain like Sikkens or sadolin would be better. You can get it clear aswell. This will stand up much better to the expansion and contraction of the timber when the sunlight is on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back